Sunday, May 13, 2012

Critters in the garage

I returned home Friday after a month away in Utah and when checking out the garage I noticed a lot of rodent "tracks" in one particular spot . Too large to be mouse,  I suspect rat. Always the same place, on the rubbermade tote that is sitting on the generator. I also noticed some larger feces on the floor behind the generator. I loaded two traps with bowls of Fruit Loops, which I am told rats LOVE. Saturday I found this little fellow in the larger trap. noting in the small trap on top of the generator. I guess this adolecent  opossum has been living in the garage for a while. I am reminded of our friend Reid Mitton who discovered an opossum in his garage when we lived in Salem. His neighbor who was an Oregon State policeman blasted the thing with his 357 service revolver! I don't recall if he actually hit it or not. I have since discovered another spot where there is evidence that the thing spent more time, possibly where it lived in the  garage. I am sure I would have ben quite startled to have discovered the thing face to face back behind a box of wood scrap. Still I don't think I would have taken a chance on opening fire  there in the garage. The trap did the job and the animal control officer picked it up and I don't have to dig any holes.  I do have some more areas to clean up. I have got to get that door gasket fixed.


No comments: