Friday, January 04, 2008

A little Progress

Although work has slowed somewhat (I got tired), we are still making some progress. I tore the rest of the sheet rock off the living room side of the wall that separates the kitchen which revealed more electrical code violations and some answers to mysteries. There was a switch beside the opening to the kitchen on the living room wall that did not switch anything. There was another one next to the kitchen light switch that wasn't connected to anything. we had a light in the middle of the dining room ceiling with no wires connected or running to it. I assumed they were somehow related and now know they were. The wire the switches were connected to was left lying in the attic in a ceiling box that had been abandoned - removed and the hole patched over. I had to remove the light, install a ceiling box, reconnect the wire and walla', (or is it viola') we have a working light!(with two way switches) How cool is that? While I was at it Imoved the switch to the other side of the wall where it should have been in the first place and added a new can light were the original light was that had been patched over(badly I might add).

The other thing I discovered about the rooms is that what I assumed was another opening to the dining area in the kitchen that was filled was actually a window to what was a covered porch. At some point the former owner enclosed half of the porch to create the dining room. That also explains why some of the work like the trim around the doors was done so poorly and why there are two french doors. A builder would have never done that. It's like urban archeology.

1 comment:

Chris and Jonette said...

Hmm... sounds like you guys are staying out of trouble, and having fun too, or at least one of you.

Also, it is voila, as walla is one half of a city in WA, and viola is a stringed instrument, similar to a violin. Hope this clarifies everything.

Hope you are doing well, and hello from the Binghams in WA!

-- Chris