Howdy Y'all, Merry Christmas from the Texas branch of the Irvine clan. Since sending out our Christmas card we have been able to re-connect with a number of friends whom we have not seen or spoken to in several years. That is exactly the result I was hoping for. To those of you who are visiting our BLOG because we included the address witht the Christmas card, WELCOME. We hope you enjoy your visit. We would also love to hear from you.
This picture, like the one on the card was taken in our back yard. This was our second choice. We love these Texas shirts.
Some of you are no doubt wondering what we are doing in Texas. In October of 2004 I took a new position as a trainer in the Catastrophe Services area. One of the conditions of my taking the job was that I would be required to live East of Denver. They really didn't care where as long as it was east of Denver. We put our house in Tumwater on the market and began to consider where we would like to live. With no other restrictions we set our own parameters. We wanted to live fairly close to a temple and family members if possible. At the time Alison and Ben were in Champaign Illinois, where Ben was working on a PhD in Linguistics. So we started looking into moving to the Bloomington and Champaign areas. They went to Ben's parents home in Dallas for Christmas and decided not to go back to Champaign so we decided to look into moving to the Dallas area. Shortly thereafter ben received an offer to go back to BYU to teach at the ELC (English Language Center) so off to Provo they went. (Unfortunately Provo isn't far enough eastor we'd probably be there or somewhere close since all our children and grand children live there at the moment)
About this time Robin's sister's husband got a job in Galveston Tx. and Robin thought we should go to Houston to live near them. Our house finally sold in April and we moved to Friendswood in May. We live in the Friendswood second ward. Since arriving here Robin has served in a number of callings, including RS counselor, and counselor to two YW presidents. She is currently the first counselor. I spend a lot of time travling in my new job but when I am home I am the teacher's quorrum advisor and ward temple coordiator.
Texas has been a real adjustment for us. The heat and humidity were pretty near unbearable this summer. We get a lot of rain so it is pretty lush and green most of the time. In fact it is so wet here that we have crawdads living in our lawn. Where they come out on top of the ground they build what looks like a little sand castle volcano. I have actually seen them scurrying accross the lawn. The winter here has been quite pleasant so far. As I said we do get a lot of rain, but no hurricanes this year. It is going to get pretty cold tomorrow, but our low will still be warmer than the high temperature in Utah. Then the weather will turn sunny and warmer. I can live with that.
So there you have in a nutshell the story of how we came to be living in Texas. We hope you will drop us an email sometime to let us catch up and tell us how you are doing. Of course you are always welcome to visit our blog. It is mostly just mundane stuff like my latest home renovation project(or mistake). We also like to post pictures of grand children. I promise to respond to al l persoal emails. We also have links to our children's blogs which are usually very entertaining.
May the Lord's blessing be upon you this Christmas season.
Jay and Robin
No comments:
Post a Comment