Sunday, June 03, 2012

Yard work in Texas or experiments with Fire ants

Doing yard work here in Texas is always a real test in endurance. We have a large yard, just over an acre, so there is a LOT of yard work. I am convinced that in a very short period of time, with the proper neglect this area would quickly revert to it's natural jungle like state. After the drought last summer much of our yard did exactly that after the grass died. I have been doing mortal battle against the forces of nature, i.e. weeds and fire ants. Fire ants are my nemesis, and if I didn't have super heros like Ortho and Round-up on my side I am afraid the dark forces would literally take over my whole yard. First my yard, then the world!

As you can see from these pictures as the battle stands I would have to say we are at an impasse, or a stand off. I am barely holding my ground and am in need of reinforcements. I have only until the end of the month and then I leave for the rest of the year. I fear the hard fought advances I have made will all be for naught.



If the drought continues this summer unabated we will probably loose more grass. St Augustine is not very drought tolerant. when it turns brown it is dead, unlike the fescues of Oregon and Washington which can lie dormant and brown all summer and as soon as the rain starts turn green and beautiful.  Curious stuff. It grows by stolons that spread out and take root. they seem to love to grow over the driveway where I don't want them, but not so much in the bare spots where I would like them to grow.

Round-up is my best weapon in the fight against jungle weed take over but it is expensive. Yesterday I had my trusty side kick Echo, line trimmer in hand  and decided to take on some of the weeds in the back where there is no grass.

A couple of things about line trimmers, they fling things, sometimes with great force. I once had to replace a sliding patio door in Tumwater which fell victim to a flying rock thrown by a string trimmer. I have used my string trimmer wearing shorts on various occasions and every time I think, "this stings a little, I should probably wear long pants", but then I'm done and well, why bother.

So I am weed whacking away with my shorts and ankle length socks and I was starting to notice the stinging was getting worse, then I realize that it is more than just flying debris. The weed trimer has flung fire ants all over my left ankle and they are biting the heck out of me. I quickly brushed them off but the stinging continued as there were a couple inside the band of my sock and they were really going at it.. I had had enough weed eating for the day, but trimming some tree limbs on the little pine tree I got onto another fire ant hill. This time the little buggers got up to my knee, left leg again. All told I think I have about 26 bites. This is a new record for me! Robin was sure I was going to slip into anaphylactic shock and need to be taken to the emergency. Rest assured I am fine. I have been gradually building up a tolerance for fire ant venom as well as iocane powder for the last six years!

You may see the result of the fire ant attack in the following link, but I warn you the photographs are fairly graphic and should only be viewed by adults with strong stomachs.


2 comments:

Curtis said...

Dad you are funny! Sorry about the fire ants. I was bitten by those once and it hurt!

Curtis said...

Oops, that last comment was Carolyn accidentally logged into Curtis' account.