Sunday, November 07, 2010

Fire ants!

I hope no one reading this is thinking that I have become obsessed with ants. Actually I am beginning to think so myself, but it is just that they seem to be flourishing at the moment. We have them in the cupboards, all over the yard. It seems as though we are being overrun by ANTS! I'll probably start dreaming about ants. I swear if I find any in the bed it will probably push me over the edge.
It seems like when we get rain the ant mounds proliferate ten fold. I think they live deeper underground and when the ground water rises it forces them to the surface. I always carry a container of mound treatment on the lawn mower and sprinkle it on the mounds as I mow. It seems to me that they move a few feet away and make a new home because for every one I put the poison on it seems like two more show up.
So I tried this stuff and I started seeing dead ants within a few minutes! I guess time will tell if I killed them or they just moved to a new residence, but I am feeling pretty confident that they won't be moving anywhere.
The directions say to sprinkle the granules on the mound carefully so you don't disturb the ants, but I always stir them up a bit by kicking the top off the mound or use a hoe, shovel or a stick before I put the poison on. I think I get maximum exposure that way. You have to be careful not to let them get on your shoes though or you'll get lots of bites on your ankles. Yesterday I stepped in two nests that were hidden in the grass and they were all over my foot in a nanosecond. Fortunately I noticed them before they got to my ankles. I have had as many as 10 bites at a time on one ankle. Not fun. I must have treated a dozen or so yesterday and within minutes of sprinkling the ant killer on the mound i could see the dead ants all over the ground.



Those brown things you see in the foto are dead ants, and the little white specks are the ant larvae, also dead I assume.
 Now if I can just kill the ants that keep invading the kitchen cupboards.

No comments: