Sunday, October 18, 2009

In Texas, you have to be smarter than bugs.

I feel I owe it to my adopted home state and my fellow Texans to set the record straight on the bug situation. It is a little embarrassing but we cured part of our bug problem, specifically, the ants on the kitchen counter, by cleaning the kitchen. Actually it was a canister of oatmeal on the counter that was the source of the ants. We have always had the canister set that matches the dishes on the counter filled with flour, sugar, oatmeal and what not. We emptied the flour container a long time ago so that there were only two that had anything in them; sugar and oatmeal. We don't use much of either any more so I guess it has been a while since we looked inside either one. The other evening as I was wiping the counter I happened to look into the sugar and oatmeal containers. There were no ants in the sugar, where I thought they would be, but the oatmeal canister was a colony of ants! There were a million of them in there. I have no idea where they came from or how they found the oatmeal. I had no idea they even liked oatmeal. Apparently it is their favorite food. Who knew?

Now I am not saying that Texas is any less of a bug haven; only that you can keep them out of the house if you are smarter than a bug. Now if I could just figure out how to outsmart the silver fish and roaches.

6 comments:

Ben McMurry said...

Of all the few places I have visited, Texas is the third buggiest area in the world. I can only say its fair neighbor to the south and various Microsoft products are buggier.

Ben McMurry said...

Also, your comments are hard to read with this theme. They show up black on black for me.

Chris and Jonette said...

I say give up the fight, and come back to WA! That way the only bugs you would have to deal with are the Microsoft ones Ben was talking about.

Carolyn said...

Yuck. That reminds me of the time when I found little worms crawling on my wall and was sure they were coming from the neighbors. I then discovered a loaf of bread and a bag of cornmeal in my cupboard that were the source of the worms. I am shuddering at the memory.

Carolyn said...

So, I just noticed that on your blog list it says "Carolyn and Crutis." Who is Crutis?

Jay said...

May I offer my sincere apologies to Curtis for the name typo and thanks to sharp eyed Carolyn for noticing the mistake. I have made the correction. I did type it correctly in the links list. Any points for that?