Thursday, April 24, 2008

Irvine Park

One of the things I love about where we live is the back yard. When the weather is nice I love to get on the lawn mower and cut the grass. It is especially pleasant on cool evenings. I feel like I am in my own private park. When we moved in the yard was pretty neglected. A lot of the trees were overgrown with poison ivy. There were several stands of banana plants that were out of control and a favorite home for brown recluse spiders. It has been a slow process but the yard is starting to look pretty good and mostly free of poison ivy. When ever I see a small sprout I spray it with Round Up immediately. Now with a lot of the stumps gone we can figure out where to plant some new good quality trees.

This was where two large trees were located that were completely infested with poison ivy. In fact these were the two trees that Kevin decided to clean up; which is how we found out it was poison ivy.
This is the back fence. When we moved in it was like a jungle. I was actually a little wary about going in there. I though for sure it would be full of rats and snakes, not to mention the poison ivy. You can see the ivy vines still clinging to the fence, but most of it is dead. I cut down a few trees and a lot of weeds and brush. eventually I will get all the wood hauled away and we will be able to keep the area nicer. One of the reasons it was so nasty is that it is a low spot that has standing water when it rains a lot.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Dad, I love your exercise regimen. It's awesome. Lately I have started developing a real dislike for gyms because they seem so unnatural. It's so much better, I think, to just get your exercise in useful ways that fit into your everyday life.

Hey, maybe you could invite some little kids over to your house and give them rides around the yard instead of pushing the bricks. You could even charge them for the ride! Then you'd be making money and exercising at the same time.

Seriously, though, it's a very clever way to exercise. I like it a lot.

Rachel said...

What a neat yard. Yard work is so satisfying because you can see the results pretty quickly.

Good luck with pushing the bricks around. We have a couple of pile of rocks you could work on when you are in Utah :)