

The title of this post reflects the fact that when you tear into a house you are liable to discover hidden secrets about the builder, former owner, other critters that have or currently inhabit the house. These pictures reflect some of the interesting things I have dug up as I work on this house.
As I was breaking out the tile floor I discovered that two walls in the closet were actually built on top of the tile floor. I.E the walls were built after the tile was installed. I thought it might result in problems with new floor installation, and it just bothered me so I decided to tear out the walls, clean out all the tile and re-frame the walls the way they were supposed to be. In the process I discovered some hidden electrical code(safety) violations burried in the walls. In one of the pictures you can see where they routed the wiring around the outside of the stud corner instead of through it so the wires were actually exposed outside the drywall. In another you can see a burried junction box, a very big NO-NO. and finally you can see what the house was built like. The window to the left of the removed wall was not there originally so that the entry opened up into the living room. There was a pass through with a small closet to the right and the wet bar on the other side of the wall. It must have been very wierd.

No comments:
Post a Comment