Saturday, July 06, 2013

Car Crash

I think by now most everyone knows I was involved in an auto accident Wednesday evening as I was driving home from Costco in Rockwall. All the freeways in Texas have what they refer to as feeder roads. These roads parallel the freeway on both sides. The on and off ramps from the freeways are accessed from these roads. The road I was on passed under I30. There were two left turn lanes to the feeder road and two lanes that went straight on Goliad (205) St. As I came out from under the roadway passing the feeder road a car came blasting down the feeder and T-boned me on the right side. the impact was at the rear door and quarter panel. The impact spun my car completely around, over the median and came to rest facing in the opposite direction. All of the side curtain airbags deployed. It was the most surreal experience. I remember seeing the vehicle coming at me out of the corner of my eye and thinking Oh crap! and then spinning around completely out of control. I was not aware of the airbags but it seems like the car kind of filled with white smoke. The impact must have pushed me sideways against the center console because my right side hurt and has gotten more painful. cracked or bruised ribs possibly, but other than that no injuries. When the car stopped moving I just sat there for a minute and thought, "what do I do now?". The voice on the navigation system said "initiating 911 call" I remember thinking I wonder how that works as there was no further sound. I got out of the car and my head started to spin and I had to sit down on the curb. The driver of the car that hit me, a young man, late teens early twenties came up and asked if I was alright. He apologized and said he did not notice the light change. Another young man was there who stopped to assist. He said he was right behind me and we clearly had the green light. I asked him for his name and he said he would stay until the police came. He did and gave his name to the police. The other drive came over and sat down and said he would get his information and made a call on his cell. I asked him if he was calling the police and he said he was calling his insurance. I took my phone out and dialed 911. As soon as the operator answered she said is this regarding the accident at I30 and 205? I said it was whereupon she said we are already on the way. the police did arrive within just a few minutes. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that as an insurance guy I did not do a very good job gathering data at the scene. I never did get the other driver's insurance information or even his name. A female officer arrived first and said that the traffic officer would be there in a minute. Then the paramedics arrived, because of the airbag deployment. I did not feel like I needed to go to the hospital. The traffic officer came and collected our insurance and drivers licences. My car was not drivable and a wrecker arrived fairly quickly. After they had concluded the investigation and said I could leave I told the first officer that I needed to call for a taxi or something as I had no one to come pick me up. She then said she would give me a ride home. I had bought a hot roasted chicken at costco and some apples. the chicken was thrown around and made quite a mess, and there were pieces of apple all over. I left those in the car and took the rest of the stuff and rode home in the back of the police Tahoe.

I am very sad about loosing the Flex. I filed a claim with State Farm, but as soon as I get the police report I believe we will proceed against the other driver.

Here are the pictures I took of the car yesterday at the tow lot. The SF adjuster said that it would be repairable based on their check list of damages so I went over to clean out the chicken and apples so the car would not stink if they really do end up repairing it. After seeing the car again I really don't think it will be repairable. I guess we will just have to see.

1 comment:

Kendal and Alissa said...

Wow that is amazing that you stepped away with only injured ribs! Your car looks awful! Are they going to be able to fix it? So glad you are okay!