Saturday, July 21, 2012

Excuse me, is that you Mr. Bush

The good news is that my bike is fixed, as good as new. So I headed back to the north shore trail at Grapevine to have another go at it. As I was parking and getting my bike off the rack I noticed that there was a black suburban sitting near the trail head and a large group of people standing around at the trail. As I was walking my bike toward the gate some of the people were walking toward me to the parking lot. A man walking toward me greeted me and when I looked at him I realized it was none other than President George W. Bush. The only thing I could reply was "hi". I had heard him say "that was great" or something like that as I was approaching. Some of the crowd were bikers others apparently were runners. I turned to look at him after he passed me and I could see that he was wearing a hydration pack. I didn't see a bicycle so I can only assume he had been running the trails. I had heard that he was known to mountain bike there. There were people all around but no one tried to get in between us or block me. We just passed face to face close enough that I could have touched him. I wish I had gotten there sooner, I might have had a chance to shake his hand and say something besides "hi".

2 comments:

Ben McMurry said...

If you run in to him again, tell him your son-in-law is thankful for his service to our nation . . . . and that I would love to have a barbecue with him or go mountain biking with him.

Carolyn said...

That's pretty cool to be face to face with a former president. Also, I'm glad your bike is fixed.