While driving to Jacksonville FL the other day I was thinking about how oddly people behave when driving. Ever notice that some people can not stand to have anyone pass them? If you set your cruse control at about 5 mph faster than the posted limit, you invariably have to pass cars going just slightly slower than you. Suddenly they will decide to speed up, zoom past you and then move back over into the right lane and then inexplicably slow down again. Why do they do that? I must have passed the same woman at least a dozen times! You see these people when you stop for gas and almost feel like you are old friends.
I think one of the most gratifying freeway driving experiences I ever had was when a guy nearly blew my doors off on I5 in Oregon and a few miles later I saw him pulled over by an OSP trooper. Nothing like swift justice.
I have begun making note of pointless or silly signs lately. There was a sign posted in the I10 freeway median here in Florida that said "Stay off Median" which struck me as odd. I can't imagine why they would think anyone would get on the median purposefully considering the median appeared to be kind of boggy. Every once in a while you would see tire tracks there and it was obvious that once they drove in they didn't just drive back out on their own with out the aid of a tow truck. I don't think anyone would think hey, I think I'll whip over into the median for a while just for fun.
Speaking of funny signs, it isn't a freeway sign but here in the Jacksonville office they have posted a small sign on the inside of all the stalls in the men's rooms that says "Flush only paper" I swear I am not making this up! I keep wondering how one would accomplish that? Gross!
Ok, if you are still reading you are likely thinking I should just stick to posting photographs. You are probably right.
My Past Year
7 years ago
3 comments:
Those are funny signs. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices and writes about stuff like this (like my post about Detroit). I've also noticed those people who don't like to be passed on the freeway. One theory I have is that once they see someone is passing them, it makes them realize how slow they are going. So, they speed up and then zone out again and start going too slow once more.
"You see these people when you stop for gas and almost feel like you are old friends."
So true! I love it!
Oh, you had me laughing so hard!! All I could think was, "good old Uncle Jay!! How I miss you!!" It's all so true. I think I'd like to go on another road trip just to meet some "new friends."
I sure miss you guys! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Keep 'em coming because I love them!
Post a Comment